October 1st marks the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
We will be raising awareness within our Meridian family by having everyone show their support by wearing a lanyard or hat during the month of October. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, Meridian has purchased pink lanyards for the office employees and pink hats for the Line Service Technicians, Mechanics, Security Officers and Detailers.
Some important statistics regarding breast cancer –
• Breast Cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women.
• Although rare in men, (1 in 1,000), 2,140 men were diagnosed with the disease in 2011. Men, as well as women, should be screened for this disease. Early diagnosis is essential.
• In 2013, an estimated 232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the US along with 64,640 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer.
• About 1 in 8 women (just under 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime.
• About 5%-10% of breast cancers can be linked to gene mutations inherited from ones’ mother or father.
• About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer.
Becoming more aware and educated is key. You can help lower your risk by going for annual check-ups, self-exams, mammograms along with eating healthy and exercising.
For more Breast Cancer Information, please check out – www.breastcancer.org
Please pass the word to family and friends and show your support by wearing PINK.
Join the fight!